Landlord and Tenant Services

We help with residential landlord and tenant matters.

Helping with Landlord and Tenant Matters

Tackling a landlord or tenant problem can be frustrating if you do not know where to begin. The Landlord and Tenant Board assists with tenant and landlord matters.  For Durham Region, the Board is located in Whitby at 590 Rossland Road East.  The legislation that is used to assist is the Residential Tenancies Act.



Renting a property can be very stressful, let alone having tenants who cause more stress by either disturbing other tenants, cause damage, or most commonly do not pay their rent!

The Landlord and Tenant Board can provide Landlords assistance with all of these problems. Each problem has a corresponding notice which can be found on their website  Once the notice is given properly to the tenant, the Landlord can then apply to the Board for whatever they are seeking; from an order for rent arrears to eviction.  These orders are enforceable.

For example, if a tenant has not paid rent, the Landlord should serve the Tenant with a N4 notice.  If after 14 days the Tenant has not paid, the Landlord can file a L1 form to request a hearing to obtain an order for arrears or if need be, eviction.

These procedures are in place to help Landlords enforce their rights.  Often deciding what form should be served on the Tenant can be confusing, let us help you!


Tenants rent a dwelling with the intent of making it their home.   As Tenants, they have several rights, including reasonable enjoyment and proper maintenance of the property.

There are procedures in place with the Landlord and Tenant Board that can force the landlord to ensure that these rights are met for the Tenant.  There are applications Tenants can file with the Board to request a hearing.  The hearing will allow the Tenant to explain their complaints to a Board Member who then can assist in solving the issue.

These applications can be confusing but are there to protect the Tenants rights.  If you don’t understand the forms or find them confusing, let us help!

Let Us Help

Should you be involved in a legal matter and you don’t understand what needs to happen or what has to happened, please seek legal advice and ensure your interests are protected. Let Bellum Legal provide advice on your landlord and tenant services needs.